Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Unblocking

I've had writer's block for probably the past 6 months, strangely coinciding with my personal life taking a lengthy turn for the worst. There've been flashes of work - I've read my novel and have a wall covered in index cards; I've done some research for possible freelance work, and I did about a week of morning pages from The Artist's Way. Recently I've taken steps to try to solve the problem, including buying, slightly unecessary, expensive gadgets, setting up the start of a fiction blog, and wondering about buying a whiteboard.

None of that's really worked.

But, last week and tonight in my Myths and Symbols class, we did some writing exercises where we made notes on an image, then wrote for 10 minutes on our notes & the image. What I've produced isn't great, but it is both unexpected and of a reasonable quality.

I just need to work out how I can transfer that freewriting to a different environment.

Or just try to sneak in rewriting the middle of my novel during the next few months of class.

No comments: